Sunday, February 9, 2014

"She had a lively, playful disposition that delighted in anything ridiculous"

Well hello there. Funny meeting you here!

I have written no less than four posts in the last two days. Four complete posts. Let that sink in. I can't stay focused on one topic to save my life. But that's something I really enjoy. My thoughts are all over the place. It doesn't interfere with anything. I really enjoy the way my own mind works. If you follow me on Twitter, you have gotten a mere glimpse of how many things are on my mind at any given time. Don't get me wrong. I'm not rehashing Krashen's language development hypotheses while contemplating the concept of space and time while also calculating my tax returns. I'm usually on one meaningful subject while happily daydreaming about running through the yard with my dog. Or perhaps I'm creating some wild story about how I'll be the first human to ever learn to fly (I've thought about it. I'd still pay airfare for long flights.).

I don't know why I felt the need to share all that. I guess I don't like to focus on stressful things too much. Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'm getting closer to deciding to do with the next year of my life. Maybe. I think... Who knows?? I do, however, feel more content with the reality of making the decision.

The biggest thing I realized this week that making a decision now isn't going to determine what I'll be doing for the rest of my life. I'm not settling down forever if I go home, and I'm not choosing a permanent gypsy life if I stay in Spain. I'm only twenty-two. I don't have to have everything figured out. I don't have a five year plan. I don't even have a two year plan. I do, however, have travel plans as far as 2016!!

I don't think I'll ever lose my wanderlust. My fascination with the world is too strong to ever get rid of it.

Learning about myself is a really exciting experience. I'm incredibly thankful for every life experience that has made me learn about myself. No matter how much any of those experiences hurt, or still hurt, I learned something every single time.

Since you all know my capacity to stay on subject is pretty low, here's a change of subject for you. A quick review of this week in Madrid!!

The week was pretty normal. I didn't have nearly as much English time with the girls. It was refreshing to get a bit of time to myself at home.

School this week went really well. I had full charge of my vocational students on Thursday. In one class there were three of them, so we just sat and chatted for the hour. It was great to learn about them. I only have my second years for a few more weeks! It's bittersweet for sure.

This weekend was a really social one for me. I went shopping with Heather on Friday. Went out with r/Madrid on Saturday night (I missed the last metro light rail home and shared a cab with another girl, fun times). I spent all of Sunday afternoon cooking and watching endless BuzzFeed videos on YouTube videos with Janelle.


This week has been full of bittersweet moments of mixed emotions. I'm overwhelmed with joy about how beautiful life is right now. I am one lucky girl.

I don't have much else to report. I guess I'll leave you with your weekly dose of fun facts!

FUN FACTS:
1. I don't care for wine. Hence, I'm picky about sangrias. I had the best sangria ever yesterday. Las Cuevas Sésamo in Madrid. Eleven euros for a pitcher of the best sangria you've ever had. If that doesn't get you to go, the atmosphere should. It's a cave-like underground bar with live music and quotes painted on the walls. I hope to go back soon. There was also a magician there last night. He stopped by each table and did a small performance. It was actually pretty neat.
2. Janelle and I made our own pizza rolls today. They were super easy and cheap. We also made Oreo balls, watched BuzzFeed for hours, and planned a US road trip for next summer.
3. I'm snacking on SweetTarts and jalapeño kettle chips that my amazing little sister sent to me. I'm trying to ration them to last through the end of March (when my family visits).
4. I'm going to Africa in three weeks!
5. I get to go in to school an hour late tomorrow. The second graders are spending a few days at a farm, of all places.
6. I need to book my flights for Holy Week and my birthday weekend. I just need to finish deciding things.
7. I had a dream that I knew the ending of How I Met Your Mother.
8. I'm currently listening to Disney's Frozen playlist on Spotify.
9. I'm working on a post that is a letter to my passport. It's becoming one of my most dependable friends.
10. I have also written a post about everything that's okay to do in your early twenties. "If ever night is legendary, no night is legendary."
11. Arabic is not on DuoLingo. I don't know how I'm going to learn the basics for Morocco. I've got a few weeks to figure it out, I suppose.
12. My single Valentines Days have always been better than those I spent in a relationship (I wouldn't imagine any ex-boyfriends have stumbled upon this site, but I really don't mean to offend you by that statement!!). I've already gotten the sweetest sister Valentine card from Kait, and I look forward to spending this Friday with friends in the capital of Spain. (To all my secret admirers out there: don't forget that I'm allergic to a variety of flowers)
13. Pft, secret admirers. Right. The sangrias and Spanish air have gone to my head!!

Hope all is well with you wherever you are, friend. I'm going to snuggle up in my warm bed and call it a night.

XOXO,
Kirt

No comments:

Post a Comment